Interesting Article The Other Day By Jeff Collins, Star Real Estate Reporter, For The OC Register
Some of the more interesting comments from the Chapman University Conference:
- Make it easier to build. CA is 2 million homes short for its citizens. The approval system should be shortened, fees reduced, over-the-counter approvals and other speed-up procedures. These extended processes and impact costs increase the price of real estate for everyone.
- Build more granny flats. Love it. Use backyard, garage, attic & any other space.
- Increase density while considering possible social problems.
- Increase spending on affordable housing.
- Cut construction costs with more innovation from builders.
- Reform Prop. 13. The chance of that happening is like Chapman University beating Alabama in football.
What Should Have Happened Some Years Ago?
Homes should be smaller. We have a nice living room and a fine dining room. They are way underutilized.
Less Space, Less Lot, equals less cost
Now of course this brings many other problems. Such as water, schools, roads, police, etc. Everyone looks at these problems differently, and I in the Real Estate business. More houses, more houses, and more houses is my personal mantra.
Probably, this is blasphemy, but I believe that Prop 13 is not perfect.