NMLS is the Federal Agency that monitors all MLO Education. They have many very strict regulations for students and providers. Earlier this year a committee was formed to revise their very strict Rules of Conduct for all approved courses. I would like to note that I (Duane Gomer) was a member of said committee. The new rules become effective September 30, 2022.
Many students attend classes either live, online, or webinar. They are surprised when they are admonished for violating the ROC. Therefore, I would like to present to you the new rules about webinars. One new regulation this year is that all students for webinars must be on camera at all times.
Note the rules on being on camera for the entire duration and visible from the shoulders up. A ten minute limit on unscheduled breaks, etc., etc. You understand we have to have facilitators watching all the students all the time.
The Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act (SAFE ACT) requires that state-licensed MLO’s complete pre-licensing (PE) and continuing education (CE) courses as a condition to be licensed. The SAFE Act also requires that all education completed as a condition for state licensure be NMLS approved. Since 2009 NMLS has established course design, approval, and delivery standards which NMLS approved course providers are required to meet. To further ensure students meet the education requirements of the SAFE Act, NMLS has established a Rules of Conduct (ROC). The ROC, which have been approved by the NMLS Mortgage Testing & Education Board, and the NMLS Policy Committee, both of which are comprised of state regulators, are intended to stress that NMLS approved education be delivered and completed with integrity.
Rules of Conduct
NMLS approved course providers are not authorized by NMLS to grant exceptions to these rules and that I alone am responsible for my conduct under these rules. I also understand these rules are in addition to whatever applicable rules the course provider may have set.
Additionally, I understand that the course provider or others may report any alleged violations to NMLS. NMLS may conduct an investigation into alleged violations and may report alleged violations to the state(s) in which I am seeking licensure or maintain licenses, or to other states.
As an individual completing either pre-licensure education (PE) or continuing education (CE) I attest the course format I am being credit banked for has been entirely completed by myself and have met required below:
- Completed sign-in by providing my signature prior to the start of the course
- Provided government issued ID at time of sign-in of the course to verify who I say I am
- Engaged with other students and instructor(s)
- Returned from breaks and lunches on time as required
- Participated and was engaged throughout the entire course
- Properly completed the entire seat-time the SAFE Act required for the approved NMLS course in order to receive an end-of-course completion certificate
Classroom Equivalent (webinar)
- Provided at the time of entering the webinar platform:
- Government issued ID
- Knowledge-Based Authentication
- Returned from breaks and lunches on time as required
- Properly completed the entire seat-time the SAFE Act required for the approved NMLS course in order to receive an end-of-course completion certificate by the following means:
- Use of camera for the entire duration of the course and visible from the shoulders up
- Understand that if I fail to maintain camera presence for a period of greater than 10 minutes I will be removed from the class and not receive credit
- Engaged and completed all course quizzes and case studies
- Engaged and completed all polls
- Understand at various times during the CEQ/webinar course, I will be required to authenticate my identity and engagement.
- Engaged with other students and facilitators/instructor(s)
- Attest that I am the person who I say I am and that all my course registration information is accurate.
- Acknowledge that I am required to show a current government issued form of identification prior to class entry and that the name on the identification matches the name as it appears on this course registration.
- Understand that the SAFE Act and state laws require me to spend a specific amount of time in specific subject areas. Accordingly, I will not attempt to circumvent the requirements of any NMLS approved course.
- Will not give or attempt to give assistance to any other person who is registered to take an NMLS approved pre-licensure or continuing education course
- Understand that the course provider has the right to dismiss anyone from class that creates a disturbance or interferes with the administration of the course or other students’ learning, including, but not limited to cell phone/smart watch usage.
- Acknowledge that any outside activities are prohibited while attending class and grounds for immediate removal from class.
- Will not engage in any conduct that would be contrary to good character or reputation or engage in any behavior that would cause the public to believe that I would not operate in the mortgage loan business lawfully, honestly or fairly.
- Will not engage in any conduct that is dishonest, fraudulent, or would adversely impact the integrity of the course(s) I am completing or the conditions for which I am seeking licensure or renewal of licensure.
- Understand and acknowledge my responsibility to report any violations or misconduct involving any of the above Rules of Conduct to the Mortgage Testing and Education Board (MTEB).
- Understand the CSBS Privacy Notice is applicable to these Rules of Conduct. The CSBS Privacy Notice can be found here: https://nationwidelicensingsystem.org/about/policies/NMLS%20Document%20Librar y/CSBS%20External%20Privacy%20Notice-6.18%20(1).pdf
By signing below, I understand the Rules of Conduct listed above, and that any violations to these rules will be subject to an investigation by the state(s) in which I am seeking licensure in or maintaining licenses in. The results of any investigation may subject me to disciplinary actions by the state(s) or the State Regulatory Registry (SRR), including but not limited to:
- Revocation, suspension, or denial of license
- Disqualification from receiving class credit
- Retraction of class credit
- Additional education
Print Name: Course Number(s):
Signature: Date (mm/dd/yyyy):
Email: NMLS ID#
No comments yet.